The Student Aid Report (SAR)

905 0
  • The Student Aid Report (SAR) is a blue multi-page form sent by the government in response to the FAFSA form that you had filed.
  • If you had filed the paper version of the FAFSA and did not provide an e-mail address, then within a few weeks of sending the FAFSA, you will receive the SAR through post.
  • If you had filed the FAFSA on the Web, or had provided an e-mail address on either the paper or online version, then you will need to retrieve your SAR electronically, as no paper SAR will be mailed to the student.
  • No matter which method you use, after you receive your SAR, check it carefully for any mistakes

Be sure to keep the record of the person you spoke with, along with the summary of the discussion. The FAOs will probably tell you about one of the two methods: They are-

  1. Send the copy of your SAR to the concerned colleges. When you call the aid office, let them know that the school was not mentioned in Step Six.
  • Request a duplicate of your SAR by calling (800) 433-3243, as you should always have at least one original SAR for your records.
  • If you want to apply for any colleges other than the ones listed on the SAR, then you will have to talk to the Financial Aid Officer (FAO) of the concerned colleges, and explain them your situation.
  1. Revise the SAR list online, as the online version allows you to list at least 10 colleges. If you are sending a yellow SAR to the processor, use certified mail – return receipt requested.
  • If you have already listed 10 schools, and want to list more, then you will have to substitute the new one for an already listed one. But before you do this, make sure the school you are removing from the list has already received your FAFSA.
  • The school that you remove from the list will not be receiving the revised data. So if there are any major changes that you have included, then you may have to send the FAFSA back to the same colleges.
  • If you have not received the SAR within three weeks of filing, then you should call (800) 433-3243 during business hour for status reports. Ensure that, you have the student’s social security number at the time you make the call. If the callers from foreign countries are unable to call toll-free numbers in the United States, they should call (319) 337-5665
  • The SAR will tell you if you qualify for the Pell Grant. Don’t panic if you don’t qualify for it, as it is the toughest kind of Grant one can get, and It is only meant for low-income families.
  • The SAR also gives you the idea about your EFC. If you are a FOTW filer, then your EFC figure may be provided to you, along with your confirmation number, right after you submit your form for processing.
In this article

Join the Conversation